Thursday, December 27, 2012

blackberry butter




It is crazy to me how fast time flies.  Wasn't I just blogging yesterday about the blackberry discovery we made on our summer trip to Gatlinburg?  Now, it's nearly six months later, and we're far from summer vacationing.

I had about a half gallon of blackberries left from our trip, hanging out in the deep freezer.  While trying to think about options for Christmas goodie bags, I ran all kinds of ideas through my head of how to use up the berries.  The Amish White Bread was already a definite for the bags, so it didn't take me too long to determine that a good butter would make a great companion.


Blackberry Butter was born.

For the bags, I packaged them in logs, wrapped in parchment paper, twisted and twined on the ends.  I also gave them to others in canning jars.  Either way, I was pleased with the presentation and equally satisfied with the flavor.  I'm looking forward to experimenting with some other butter ideas.  I already love the stuff in its truest form...  why not consider other ways to make it interesting and fun?

Happy whipping!

Blackberry Butter - makes one pound of butter
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound salted butter, softened
  • 1/8 cup of honey
  • 1/2 cup blackberries
~ Whip together butter and honey until fluffy.
~ Add in berries and mix in short bursts until desired look is achieved.  I did not want mine
   to be completely emulsified, so I "broke" up the berries slightly with just a few turns of 
   the paddle attachment.
~ If storing in jars, scoop into jar and wipe mouth clean.  Cap and refrigerate.
~ If storing in logs, place a piece of plastic wrap over a piece of aluminum foil the same size.  
~ Scoop out butter along length of wrap/foil, folding wrap over butter and rolling into 
   consistent-sized cylinder.  Roll up foil around log and twist ends.  Refrigerate or freeze.

Recipe from The Lazy Daisy Kitchen.

15 comments:

  1. How long does it last in the refrigerator?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And in the freezer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salted butter lasts longer than unsalted because the salt acts like a preservative. I have frozen salted butter successfully for up to four months. For optimal freshness, if refrigerating, store air-tight for up to three weeks. It might last longer, but butter tends to absorb flavors, so I wouldn't push it. BTW, this particular butter won't last long; it's too good! :)

      Delete
  3. I assume that any berry would work right? Also what is the difference if i didnt use unsalted? I can cook nut this is a lil out of my reach and i know my stepmom always buys unsalted butter but thats how she was raised. Some guidance word help me so much, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, absolutely. Any berry will work, and unsalted butter is just fine. I usually buy unsalted as well, but I'm a sucker for a little salty with a little sweet. I've done it both ways, and both are terrific. Whatever your preference, make it to your liking. Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. I make my own butter using heavy whipping cream when it's on sale and than add all kinds of goodness. Usually a garlic/parmasan butter but a fruit better sounds awesome. Will have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do try it. Let us know how you like it!

      Delete
  5. I recently picked about 11 pounds of raspberries. Have to give this a try! Hope it tastes good with the raspberries. Should I blend the raspberries a little bit or just put them in whole?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow... I'm jealous of your 11 pounds! What a treat! If I were you, I'd just throw them in whole. You can spin the mixer slowly until they're "broken" up just the way you prefer. That approach works beautifully with the blackberries. Enjoy!

      Delete
  6. Do you know if this could be canned? We just picked blackberries and I was thinking I would love to make some up and then give them out as Christmas gifts. Thanks so much! Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will so have to do this with blueberries! Sounds yummy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. Thanks... desi ghee manufacturer

    ReplyDelete

  9. That's correct! Blackberries are indeed edible fruits that belong to the genus Rubus within the Rosaceae family. They are known for their dark color and sweet-tart flavor. The genus Rubus encompasses a wide variety of species, many of which produce blackberries. These berries are commonly found in the wild and are also cultivated for commercial consumption. Click Here blackberrie

    ReplyDelete

  10. That's correct! Blackberries are indeed edible fruits that belong to the genus Rubus within the Rosaceae family. They are known for their dark color and sweet-tart flavor. The genus Rubus encompasses a wide variety of species, many of which produce blackberries. These berries are commonly found in the wild and are also cultivated for commercial consumption. https://blackberriesinfo.com/

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!